Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Positive Words?????????????????

Today is a GIFT. Could you imagine anything more beautiful?
Dropped Carol's car off last night - oil change (to what?) today - so I drove her to work this morning. I just got off a tough five day stretch - tougher than Lompoc. Had last Wednesday off then worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Sunday was inventory time at the booze emporium. Imagine yourself spending a Sunday afternoon and evening on your knees or on a ladder, pointing a high tech gizmo at the bar code on the back of a liquor bottle, then counting all those bottles and hitting enter. Over and over and over again. For four straight hours. Monday morning I had a job interview in the morning  before going to work in the afternoon. We'll talk about that a little later.  Anyway you can see it's been rough.
I have today off.
Went for a walk immediately upon returning home from chauffeuring Carol, so I was out at 8:30. Glorious. Cool, gorgeous day. The birds weren't just chirping they were singing. Birds are the coolest. They are completely free. They can fly. Except when humans shoot them down with rifles. Hunters suck. You can justify it any way you want, thinning out the herd, managing over population but killing animals for sport angers me. I would love to see the reverse. Imagine birds armed and hunting humans. No contest because birds can FLY. It would be hilarious to see all these knuckle dragging rednecks running for their lives while the birds swooped and taunted before shooting them down.
But I digress. Felt like the birds were singing to me today. "Keep doing what you're doing Joe. You are on the right track. Focus, discipline, believe and achieve." I'm pretty sure that's what they were singing. You believe what you want to and I'll believe what I want to.
Even the silly interview I had yesterday felt like the right thing to do in retrospect. My boss/ friend pushed me into it, said I have to get my face out there in the world of the NH State Liquor Commission. I'm a part time low wage earner and I'm done with chasing jobs, so I might as well make my way in the world of booze until I get rich and famous. I was calm because I don't take interviews seriously. I learned this approach from Keith. Yes, I learn a lot from my sons. I was interviewed by three people. A goddamn tribunal. One in front of me behind his desk, one to my left, one to my right. I was surrounded by corporate pretentiousness. These people take themselves VERY seriously. No smiles. It was hilarious. I loved walking into their boring world with my ponytail halfway down my back, and an earring. So now they know who I am. I probably won't get the job, it's a huge jump from part time to an assistant manager in one of the states biggest stores. But I kept the vibe going, baby. It's all about the vibe.
So anyway, by 10:00 a.m. this morning I had walked two miles, rode the exercise bike for 20 furious minutes, threw in some sit ups and a little light weight work to combat flabby old man arms. And most importantly I listened to the birds. What have you done today, small human?
The cats were thrown off their schedule. They had to wait for me to get back from driving Carol, wait for me to get back from the walk before I would let them out onto the porch. As I bounded up the porch steps they were sitting side by side at the sliding glass doors waiting impatiently. So goddamn cute. I released them, then walked into the kitchen to throw my wallet and cell phone into the drawer. Here's another glimpse into my diseased mind. When I walk I carry the cell phone and my wallet in my pockets. The cell phone in case I have a mild stroke or heart attack so I can call 911. The wallet in case I drop dead so people can identify the body. Does anybody else think this way? Anyway I walked into the kitchen and laughed. Maka had gotten into the cupboard and knocked plastic cups and my omelet shaking thingy onto the floor. She always gets the last word. "You won't let me onto the porch on a gorgeous day like today? Then you shall pay." Endlessly entertaining.
Those are today's random thoughts. Sorry I didn't get into feeling sorry for myself or whining or complaining. I'll try to do better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment