Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Coming Back Around

OK. It's Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. I cannot have my previous post be the only one I make on such a sweet day, at such a sweet time.
First and foremost it always bothers me that most people forget that this weekend is about remembering those who have died in the service of this country. People who GAVE THEIR LIVES so little people like me can enjoy the right to say whatever I want in this phony baloney blog.
This includes people who were drafted and didn't want to go to war, but did any way and died. People who volunteered to serve and were killed. People who have enlisted many times over and were killed.
War is stupid and our reasons for getting involved are often suspect, but you have to respect people who have the guts to put on a uniform and risk everything so you and I can live life as freely as we do.
Think about them this weekend and find a way to thank them.
The weekend is also about sweet release. For most people, three days away from the tyranny of employment.
Kicking off summer.
You can feel it in the air; it's a laid back, got time to be human vibe. Especially with the good weather we are enjoying.
People with horrifically ugly legs walking around in shorts.
Working a job is a noble thing, no matter what level you are at.
I recently whined about the plight of the retail employee. I now stand tall and admit that I have a two day weekend - in a row - and that is a sweet joy which I will savor. I talked to people yesterday who are working all three days.
I don't know what to say to them. All I can say is that I work for an organization that has no problem lying or misrepresenting to their employees how much they will be paid in specific circumstances. I am talking about the sacred trust of a paycheck here. Corporations get away with whatever they get away with, but you NEVER ever make a paycheck a negotiation, a mystery, something that an employee cannot rely on to be consistent. This organization has crossed that line and I hope someday they are prosecuted for it. But I won't hold my breath.
I hope you do not find yourself working for an organization like that this weekend. I hope you get paid well and the paycheck better include some OT.
In general, I hope this weekend provides some peace of mind to as many people as possible. I hope it is a magnificent kickoff to a summer filled with good weather and great times. This is the time of year to LIVE, people.
We have to dig in and start enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment