Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thinking About Sarge

I am thinking about Sarge today.
Sarge is my brother-in-law and he is having a cancerous growth removed from his brain this morning.
I love Sarge, I respect Sarge, if I could alter my personality and pick up someone else's positive traits I would choose Sarge as my inspiration.
He had a lung removed a couple of years ago and came back strong. Sarge and his fantastic wife Cori own a fabulous restaurant in Saco, ME. Sarges Tailgate Grille. When he had the lung removed they threw a fund raiser in the parking lot. Bands, FOOD, giveaways. It was a blast. And they raised a tremendous amount of money in a very short time because A TON of people showed up. And the crowd included preppy types, bikers, moms and dads, kids, long hairs, short hairs, college educated folks, high school drop outs, crazy people and mild mannered individuals.
Because that's the kind of man Sarge is. He appeals to everybody because he treats people right and they know he is real.
And now this.
He doesn't deserve this. He has the Nora Ephron gene. Everybody loves Sarge. They love him because he is genuine and sensitive and funny and tough and unique. He is his own man and has always been his own man.
When I first started dating Carol I was intimidated by Sarge. Felt like a boy compared to him. Over the years I have grown to love him deeply. I have partied with him a lot and enjoyed every goddamn minute of it.
We have stories. Lots of stories. We are the senior derelicts in the family and proud of it.
None of my petty little concerns matter today.
Because I am thinking about Sarge.
In fact if I complain about one thing today I am going to punch myself in the face.
I am thinking about the next time we get together for a beer. Looking forward to it.
He will get through this and bounce back again. Because he is a positive spirit and tough physically and mentally.
And he will get right back to making people laugh and making them feel important and giving them a little something special that most people do not have the capacity to do.
I have to warn you. If Sarge ever walks up to you and asks "Want to know how to sell a deaf man a chicken?"
Take a step back.

No comments:

Post a Comment