Saturday, January 12, 2013

Junior Seau In Death

It's getting too deep to avoid, too serious to ignore.

Junior Seau's brain showed signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurodegenerative disease that can lead to dementia, memory loss and depression. It is a progressive disease associated with repeated head trauma.

Seau was never diagnosed as having had a concussion in the NFL.

I believe there is a lot more going on here than concussions. First of all, I am sure Seau had concussions, they just weren't diagnosed as such. I am sure there were times he came off the field and addressed his coach as Tweety Bird.

Secondly the emphasis is on helmet to helmet hits. That's an obvious cause but I believe the problem goes much deeper than that.

I believe that when two huge bodies collide violently at high speed, even if it is strictly body to body contact, the brain still takes a beating.

This is an ominous consideration for football players.

There will be huge changes in the NFL as a result of all this and it will probably radically change the game. I am not one of those who says these guys know the risks going in, so tough luck, boys. I think that is callous and cruel.

I worship football. I don't want it to turn into flag football or become a sport with cheerleaders and players becoming interchangeable. But it bothers me to know the damage being done even as I thrill to big hits.

I do not want to see pictures of Tom Brady in fifteen years in a wheelchair, diaper clad, drooling into a plastic cup secured to his chin (making his chin look like Jay Leno's) as Gisele gaily dances the tarantella with Giacomo the rich Italian olive oil magnate. That is too high a price to pay for my football enjoyment.

I hope a combination of rule changes and equipment upgrades will protect players' health without destroying the game.

My gut tells me this ain't gonna happen. I don't think there is a viable way to protect players from the violence of this game. I think ultimately the game will go on with it's inherent risks only slightly minimized.

At that point I will have to make a decision. A decision that is a test of character. Of commitment.

I am embarrassed to admit that I am not convinced I have the strength to make the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment