This country is boiling over with hatred, violence, and disregard for the opinions of others. We excel at it.
We are all in the same boat, striving for the same things, fighting the same daily battles, but for some fucked-up reason we have decided that if you think differently than I do, you are the enemy.
Used to be you had an opinion, I had a different opinion, but we could still drink beer in our folding chairs at a neighborhood cookout and laugh. Now you end up with a black eye or chipped tooth for disagreeing with the person next to you.
Not sure how that happened. Maybe it reveals the weakness of human nature rapidly deteriorating over time, maybe it results from this thing we used to have called democracy, maybe it's a combination of both. Whatever it is, we have crossed a line that we can never cross back. The concept of people getting along is wishful thinking at this point.
Pet lovers can save us.
I'm talking about people who genuinely love their pets. People whose relationship with their pets is sacred. People who see them as living breathing things with thoughts and emotions and sensitivity, not just as animals.
I am not talking about people who keep pets for amusement, or to make a statement. People who pay attention to them only when it suits them or when they have the time. I'm talking about people who talk to their pets, who hug them and kiss them, who continually acknowledge their presence just like you would a human being.
That kind of love is pure. It is sacred. It feeds your soul, it saves your soul. Pet lovers of that caliber experience life close to the bone, life as it is supposed to be lived. These people are powerful.
We need to establish a country-wide network of genuine pet lovers. Online, face to face, in local communities, state to state, and in nation-wide groups.
The love generated in the get togethers of genuine pet lovers and their precious pets anywhere and everywhere would be so intense it would defy explanation. It would be a love of a magnitude never before experienced in the history of the world. It would be self-feeding and self-escalating until it would become invincible.
We could use that love to defeat all the hatred and violence, close-mindedness and stupidity, that is strangling the lives of everyday people.
We could become human again.
Huh, what? Oh shit, I fell asleep again. Was I dreaming? Oh yeah, I remember now - the pet lovers thing.
Forget it. It is only a pipe dream. Hatred is a blood sport in this country now.
Love your pets deeply and honestly. It is good for you. It is healthy for you and your pets.
Then go out and spit on your neighbor.
No comments:
Post a Comment