Saturday, January 7, 2012

For The Readers Among Us

Started reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan.
Amazing. Magical. Inspiring. Entertaining.
I think when I picked it up at the dump it was in the back of my mind that it would not be dry, boring scientific crap. Because I had seen Carl Sagan on TV and he was a quirky, passionate, emotional guy. Not your typical scientist.
I was right. He makes it interesting. In the 80 or so pages I have read, he talks about the cosmos, ancient astronomers and civilizations, the human body and more. Fascinating.
The most exciting thing I have learned is that Dr. Raymond Stanz knew exactly what he was talking about in Ghostbusters.  He was explaining Gozer's entry into the world and described it as "the biggest inter-dimensional crossrip since the Tunguska Blast of 1909."
The Tunguska Blast was a real occurrence. Carl Sagan talks about it in his book, although it happened one year earlier, in 1908. "On June 30, 1908 a giant fireball was seen moving rapidly across the sky over Siberia. Where it touched the horizon, an enormous explosion took place. It leveled some 2,000 kilometers of forest and burned thousands of trees in a flash fire near the impact site. It produced an atmospheric shock wave that twice circled the earth."
Impressive story, but I don't care about that. What I do care about is the new found respect I have for Dr. Raymond Stanz, all these years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment