Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Good To Laugh

January 1, 2020.

I like the way that looks in print.

Anyway I started reading the perfect book today on my 66th birthday. Completely at random.

When Billy Crystal turned 65 he wrote a book titled "Still Foolin' 'Em - Where I've been, Where I'm Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys?"

It is a combination autobiography and study of aging. Leaning more heavily on his thoughts about getting older.

It caught my eye somehow, someway - I don't always remember where I get my info on books that are out there. I did not realize how perfect it is for today. My birthday.

I read 50 or 60 pages and have laughed out loud many times.

I don't like being 66 but I am told it is better than being dead.

Aging is a universal thing - we all go through it and it is amazing how many similarities there are from human to human as we get older, and older still. We joke about it but the similarities are there - unavoidable and shared.

Why not laugh about it?

That's what I like about what Billy has done. He got me laughing about things that normally piss me off.

And why not?

Nothing I can do about it. I forget shit, my knuckles, knees, hip and back hurt in shifts - sometimes all at once. After sitting in my recliner for hours I get up like a 99 year old man - hunched over and limping for the first five or six steps.

I can make myself more miserable by fixating on my breaking down body - or I can just deal with it.

And laugh as much as possible.

It is good to be reading this book today. I am really focused on my birthday this year. I don't exactly know why.

It is good to laugh on January 1, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment