Wednesday, April 17, 2019

I'm Really Gonna Do It

Gonna watch a chunk of the NFL draft.

Pretty sure I've never done that before. I might have snuck a peek here and there but in general my attitude used to be "who gives a shit".

I had a friend who was gonzo nuts about the draft. Whenever it was held around here he would attend it. It was a big deal for him. I thought he was crazy.

As for me I never let go of football after February 3, 2019. Been watching Good Morning Football pretty regular. Watched chunks of the goddamn Combine. Got 31 episodes of A Football Life saved on the DVR, and I've already watched a bunch of previous episodes. Sick.

I'm a little more knowledgeable about the draft this year, because of my 2019 addiction. I want to see how a lot of the top draft picks shake out.

I always have an ulterior motive though, because I am such an emotional guy.

To me the draft will be the flip side of what I talked about with The Sox getting their rings. The Sox players were celebrating decades of work and sacrifice that got them to the top of the mountain. The dudes who get drafted into the NFL will have their lives changed dramatically and instantaneously; this is the beginning of what they have worked so hard to achieve.

A lot of the top prospects have been on Good Morning Football. So I have a feel for who they are as human beings, an idea of what they are all about. That's a cool thing for me because these guys are usually nothing but names to me.

I will be glued to the set at the very beginning because I want to see that #1 pick. Most likely Kyler Murray, although there is a lot of bullshit floating around about how the Cardinals have not made a decision yet. I want to see the moment - live - when that man's life is instantaneously transformed.

The concept blows me away. Dickhead Goodell calls out your name and just like that your entire family, all your friends, and thousands of fans are delirious. Your life becomes a brand new thing.

I will never have that feeling, you will never have that feeling, so why not experience it vicariously through the life and good fortune of another?

I am looking forward to it.

NEW TOPIC: NFL fans and talking heads are insane. Tonight the NFL will be broadcasting the 2019 NFL Schedule Release. Yup, that's right. This season's schedule gets released tonight and there will be a two hour show to discuss, debate and beat the shit out of it.

I can't handle it. Gotta draw the line there. I don't give a shit who THE PATS are playing this year. I just wanna watch the games. It doesn't matter who they are playing; there will be some good teams, there will be some bad teams. Just like every other year.

Besides, I gotta watch The Bruins tonight. Down 2 to 1 they really gotta beat Toronto tonight.

So I will be otherwise occupied. No way I'm gonna watch a two hour 2019 NFL Schedule Release show. Not even a little bit.

Unless.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment