Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A Moment of Forever (I stole those words from Kris Kristofferson)

I was subserviently and obediently motoring to work yesterday, and I flicked on Outlaw Country.

First thing I realize is that Steve Earle is the guest DJ. I am tired of explaining my musical tastes to the uninitiated. If you want to know who he is, google him.

What I immediately understood was that this was going to be legit - the music I was about to experience would revive my suffocating soul.

Here are the first five things I heard.

"Me and Bobby McGee" sung by Kris Kristofferson. You probably never heard that version, the original fucking version. He wrote the damn song and all you can think about is Janis Joplin. Earle referred to him as the maestro. Perfect.

Next up "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band. Great, great song that just covers your entire being with emotion. Even if you are not from the south.

Then "Red Headed Stranger" by Willie Nelson. The album shares the same name and a movie was also made about the story. It was 1975 and Willie was just starting to flex his muscles. Just signed to Columbia records he was given total creative control over his works. Unprecedented.

It is a concept album, which was rare at the time. The story was about a fugitive on the run from the law after killing his wife and her lover. Columbia did not want to release it because it was sparse - mostly guitar, piano and drums. Willie refused to change a thing. It was a blockbuster, going multi-platinum in sales and made Nelson HUGE in the world of country music.

Damn good song.

Then: Townes Van Zandt. I forget what song Earle played but it doesn't matter. I love them all. Townes was a songwriter's songwriter. The highest respect an artist can receive. He was one of those dudes who never made it big, but wrote achingly honest songs.

Next: Guy Clark. I forget the song but it doesn't matter because I love them all. Guy was also a songwriter's songwriter and a good friend of Townes.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE. Just like that.

Takes me a while to come down off the intense emotional high of a run like that when I arrive at work. Such a menial, superficial job trying to tear me down and make me just like everyone else. Thank God I had the musical high to think back on as I said for the 26,000th time "And the security code?" into the phone.

My musical tastes and knowledge run deep. I don't listen to superficial music, I pay no attention to superficial artists. What I love is meaningful.  It has to be. It is my sustenance.

The songs express emotions in a raw and honest way; they tell a story about what it means to be a human being trying to figure out how the hell to survive. How to be happy. The artists have depth and empathy, intelligence, and a soul deep understanding of how hard life is on so many different levels.

I am proud of what I know. I am proud of what I listen to.

It is a massive part of this twisted being identified as Joseph Testa.

Bonus fact: On the ride home I heard "The Week of Living Dangerously" by Steve Earle himself (played by another DJ). Rocked my way home with a motherfucking smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment