Friday, April 19, 2024

Dickey Betts

From your perspective, I'm sure my reaction will be way over the top.

If that is true, it tells me you have never had a band that played music that fed your soul, healed your broken heart, and made you forget about that fucking job you hate so much. A band that you could not live without. COULD NOT.

Dickey Betts died yesterday. He was 80 years old. He was one of six founding fathers of The Allman Brothers Band. Duane Allman, Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks, Jaimoe (aka Jai Johanny Johanson, aka John Lee Johnson), Berry Oakley, and Dickey Betts.

Jaimoe is the only surviving member of the Original Six.

Dickey Betts and Duane Allman "pioneered a melodic twin guitar harmony and counterpoint which rewrote the rules for how two rock guitarists can work together, completely scrapping the traditional rhythm/lead roles to stand toe to toe."

Their playing was so unique and so exquisite it blew your mind.

Dickey was the personification of rock 'n roll. Even though he was a founding father, he was kicked out of the band in 2000 over a conflict regarding his continued alcohol and drug abuse. How fucking bad do you have to be for The Allman Brothers to kick you out of the band? Trust me, this was not a group of altar boys.

After 2000 Dickey never played with them again, nor did he appear with other former band members for reunions or side projects. What a fucking shame. What a loss for the music world.

Dickey wrote "Jessica", "Blue Sky", and "Rambling Man" among many other songs. Listen to those three songs. They alone will justify you laying flowers on his grave. They are beautiful.

I loved the way he played. Smooth. And I always said he danced when he played. Check out some videos. The way he moved when he was soloing it was like he was dancing with his guitar.

Dickey had a lot of rough edges. Getting himself kicked out of the band was a crime, although I'm not sure the judge and jury were exactly clear-eyed. But we all fuck up.

Ever the rebel, I saw him play solo in what was essentially a supper club many years ago. The kind of place where smoking was not allowed and rowdiness was frowned upon. At a time when musicans would take the stage with bottles of water.

His band took the stage, then Dickey walked out - with a cigarette between his lips, he sat a Budweiser on his amp, and went to town.     I          loved              it.

I don't like where I am in life.

On one hand, I do. I am 70, I am healthy, I got a new life, a grandson, my sons are healthy and happy and so are their women.

On the other hand, the people who inspired me when I was young are all dying. It breaks my heart. It forces me to face reality when I would much rather be dreaming.

Requiescat in pace, Dickey Betts.

You made my life so much better, so much more enjoyable, so much more bearable.

Thank you for that.

Love you, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment