Friday, February 17, 2017

Thank Me Later

Today's topic is songs from movies.

Watched "One More Time" with Christopher Walken the other night; fabulous movie. He plays a singer, a crooner, who was fabulously successful in his time. He is older now and looking for one more shot. He writes a song titled "When I Live My Life Over Again" and sings it in the movie.

I love Christopher Walken. And so do you.

I love this idea that songs are written for movies, that they are part of the plot, especially when the song is good. I guess what I like about them is that if you didn't watch the movie you would probably never have heard the song. That puts you in more exclusive company. Makes you feel like you are part of an inner circle.

It is kind of a big band, swing type song, which is cool, but the lyrics crawled right into my heart.

"If I'd been born in the Hindustan, I'd reincarnate like the Hindus can, I'll tell you sir I've got a plan, when I live my life over again.

I'm all warmed up and limber now, next time I swear I'm gonna make it count, thank God we get more than one go round.

Regrets, yes, I've had a few, perhaps I forgot to mention, but the passing years and greying beard are what got my attention.

Wise men say life's so strange, it goes fast like deja vu, but the one thing I wouldn't change, are the hours I spent with you.

So as a dress rehearsal this one's been fine, but now I'm gonna go for real this time, and smell the red roses when I'm living my life all over again, alert my friends when I live my life over again."

The song gives me hope even if you subtract the concept of reincarnation, which I don't believe in. It makes me feel that even as a 63 year old fading warrior I still got a chance. Love the words "I'm all warmed up and limber now", which makes me feel as if everything that came before has prepared me for one last shot, one informed, experienced attempt at self-realization.

Randomly, later in the week I heard "Fallin' and Flyin'" from the movie Crazy Heart, starring Jeff Bridges who also sings the song. Love the movie and the song feels like the soundtrack of my life.

"I was goin' where I shouldn't go, seein' who I shouldn't see, doin' what I shouldn't do, bein' who I shouldn't be.

A little voice told me it's all wrong, another voice told me it's all right, I used to think that I was strong, but lately I just lost the time.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while, funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while.

I got tired of bein' good, startin' missin' that old feelin' free, stopped actin' like I thought I should, and went on back to bein' me.

I never meant to hurt no one, I just had to have my way, if there's such a thing as too much fun, this must be the price to pay.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while, funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while.

You never see it comin' 'till it's gone, it all happens for a reason, even when it's wrong, especially when it's wrong.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while, funny how fallin' feels like flyin' for a little while.

I was goin' where I shouldn't go, seein' who I shouldn't see, doin' what I shouldn't do, and bein' who I shouldn't be."

A little tougher to explain how this one makes me feel. In one sense it makes me feel like I need to recapture a certain part of me that I have let go. I've been living like a fucking priest for a few years now and it is an uncomfortable fit.

On the other hand I have gone too far in the past, gotten stupid and a little lost.

Maybe there is a middle ground, a place where I can have some fun without getting stupid.

I am 63 for Christ sake. It's worth a shot.

Anyway, two good movies, two good songs. Watch the movies, dig the music and thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment