Tuesday, May 7, 2019

There You Have It

I am currently consumed with Game of Thrones and the Bruins.

This puts me at odds with Carol who cannot handle GOT and does not like hockey. I started out going upstairs to our bedroom for personal viewing.

You see, I do not have a man cave. One of the major regrets of my life. I need a space to retreat to. I fucking need it.

By the way I hate the term man cave. If I had one I would not call it that. I would call it The Room of Great Release. Or The Peace Room. Or Joe's Sanctuary. But it is all a moot fucking point because I don't have one.

So I go upstairs and sit upright on the bed with two pillows behind me. That doesn't work. In very quick order my back begins to hurt. I squirm, I change positions and end up watching TV from ridiculous, uncomfortable angles.

I tried lying down but I fall asleep. And even on the outside chance that I don't fall asleep, because I wear tri-focals, I have to push them down to the tip of my nose to be able to see clearly. And even at that, it is a bit off.

So I tried bringing a kitchen chair up and sat next to the bed. 15 minutes later the back hurts, I squirm around a bit and eventually ended up standing. Yes, folks - I watched chunks of GOT and Bruins games fucking standing.

Finally I woke up. I downloaded the HBO Go app to my tablet. No charge. This allows me to stream any HBO show. Like Game of Thrones. I began watching GOT in my recliner, with Lakota in my lap, while Carol watched the Red Sox.

Much better. I much prefer to watch it on TV, but this set up is an acceptable compromise. I get to watch it in comfort.

Last night I had a true revelation. I downloaded the NBC Sports app, no charge, to the tablet and watched the Bruins game. Siting in my recliner with Lakota in my lap.

This was actually thrilling. I don't know what it was. Maybe because this really puts the game right in my face. For whatever reason, I was really into it. Didn't bother me at all to not be watching it on TV.

And I had the added bonus of being able to keep an eye on the Sox, who Carol watches 365 days a year. Even in leap years. She'll take one day off in leap years because even she needs an occasional break.

So there you have it. I am 65 years old and still figuring things out. My brain still works to a certain extent. I know, you're saying "Jesus Christ, Joe - this is simple stuff. It is 2019."

I get it. You are correct. But don't forget, I was born in 1954. My brain does not automatically go to technological solutions. Because of how much and how rapidly the world has changed, and because of the enormous amount of dead brain cells choking off natural thought processes. Seems like every time I try to download something or access something new, I get caught up in some torturous loop of stupidity that absolutely drives me crazy. Should be simple - never is.

So I feel good about these two seismic shifts in my life.

But if I ever hit the motherfucking lottery I am going to add on to the house the most impressive Room of Refuge that has ever been built. It will be absolutely palatial.

Anyway, that's it. I thought I'd bring you up to date. This is an enormously boring post.

I will try to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment