Saturday, September 2, 2023

Today

Digging the freedom.

No work on the horizon is like surgically removing 16 tons of shit off of my body. I am light as a feather.

Mixed bag today.

THE GOOD: I decided to get my footballl juices flowing by watching college ball today. I chose the Colorado/TCU game. The game was mind blowingly good. High scoring, back and forth, a whole hell of a lot going on. Exceptional contest. And Deion got his first win as Colorado's new coach. NO ONE thought they would win. What a great story.

I indeed got my football juices flowing. I am primed and ready to substitute football intensity for wimpy whining. I am diving in, I am diving all the way in - I am going to watch as much football as is humanly possible for the next 5+ months. And you better believe I will be watching Nebraska/Colorado next Saturday at noon. I always say I am going to watch a lot of college football but I never do because Carol makes me scrape and paint and rake and repair and vacuum out her car and wash it and wax it and cook for her and so on every single Saturday.

In 2023 I will buy her diamond brooches instead. And watch football every Saturday and every Sunday.

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BAD: Jimmy Buffett died yesterday night. That's like saying fun died yesterday night.

I have many music stations set on Sirius, but there are 4 or 5 that are hardcore go-to's. The rest I dabble in. Margaritaville was one of the dabblers. Yesterday for some reason I dialed it up on my way to and from work. I think I was inspired by all the happy cars I passed on the road heading to long weekend destinations. The music suited the mood. Painful to think I randomly dialed up his music on the day he died.

Jimmy Buffett's persona was that of a fun guy. I think the reality matched the image, based on the way  celebrities describe him. Like: "This man personified joy. Embodied goodness. Always smiling......the coolest, absolute nicest...........full of goodwill and joy................ His family said: "He knew how to have fun and cared deeply about bringing everyone else along with him for the ride."

The man always looked like he was having fun. The man loved the ocean, he loved boats, he loved music, he loved to party. How can you argue with that?

He is yet another guy I regret to say I never got to see in concert. My nephew's Paul, Jeff, and Kevin were Parrotheads - they saw him in concert many times. I'm glad they had the experience.

Jimmy Buffett's philosophy, in part: "It's pure escapism is all it is. I'm not the first one to do it, nor shall I probably be the last. But I think it's really a part of the human condition that you've got to have some fun. You've got to get away from whatever you do to make a living or other parts of life that stress you out. I try to make it at least 50/50 fun to work and so far it's worked out." He said that in 2021.

I think Margaritaville will be a go-to for me for a while. Smiles and depth of feeling all around.

Requiescat in pace, Jimmy Buffett.

And thank you, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment