Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Willem Dafoe Kicks Ass

Been on a movie watching binge up here in the Lakes Region.

I watch movies every night after Carol goes to bed. I'm usually up until 1:00 or 1:30. Get me a solid four or five hours sleep, then jump up ready to take on the world.

I select specific movies sometimes, but a lot of them are random movies that I just come across. Coincidentally I came across two Willem Dafoe movies this week. And I realized that I fucking love this guy.

There is a movie titled Affliction that I love. Watched it a whole bunch of times and I will continue to do so until I die. Then I will watch it in Hell, if TV is allowed.

I love it because it's a story about the complete disintegration of a human being. Psychological and physical. The character is played by Nick Nolte and he just nails the part. Willem Dafoe plays his brother.

I am fascinated by destroyed human beings. Another movie in that vein is The Assassination of Richard Nixon, starring Sean Penn. Amazing.

Dafoe plays an almost benign part in Affliction, but it is worth a look.

Ever see The Boondock Saints? Dafoe is unbelievable in that. Way over the top.

This week I watched Dead For A Dollar - a western, and The Lighthouse.

In Dead For A Dollar, Dafoe plays a bad dude just out of jail. He's intelligent, wise in the ways of the world, and has a sense of humor. Also fatalistic. Great movie.

The Lighthouse blew my fucking mind. Very different story, dark and twisted. Watch it at your peril.

Four different movies, four different characters - Dafoe nails them all. The characters he plays in Boondock Saints and Lighthouse are extreme. That's the test for me - if you can nail characters like that, you can fucking act.

Like Nicholson in The Shining, or Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Willem Dafoe, man - dig him.

No comments:

Post a Comment