Saturday, July 3, 2021

Chad & Jeremy? Really?

Heard a song yesterday titled "Rest in Peace", written by Chad Stuart of Chad & Jeremy fame.

Delightfully cynical. Not the type of song I would associate with this delightful duo. I was thrilled.

It is written from the point of view of a "memorial maker" - a guy who chisels names and epitaphs on gravestones.

Dig these words:

"My name is Matthews and I've got it made - a memorial maker - it's a profitable trade; I don't solicit business - there's no point in trying, what I like about my customers - they just keep on dying."

"Here lies Frederick, mourned by his wife, he lead a blameless life, he couldn't win the way she treated him, his gravestone should have read Here lies Fred - he's better off dead."

It gets darker.

"They bring the names of husbands, they bring the names of wives, they want me to perpetuate their awful, dreary lives"

"They come to me and spend all they've got, 'cause it costs quite a lot to be remembered, they think it is the only way, what would the neighbors say anyway? It's so prestigious, even though you're not religious."

And darker.

"Maybe one day I will carve a stone big enough for everyone, and written there for those who care in letters ten feet high: Here they lie who were born to die."

A delightful ditty.

No comments:

Post a Comment