Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Mick Jagger

Mick Jagger turned 78 on Monday, July 26. Seventy fucking eight.

His net worth is estimated to be $360 million. My net worth is estimated to be deeply in the red. Mired there for all eternity.

He's doing better than me.

It hurt me to admit to my oldest and dearest friends that I am still working part time, when we got together on Monday. I felt like a fucking chump. They are all retired. This suggests that they worked the angles, they got life right; I looked left when I should have looked right. I got drunk when I should have been sober, I was sober when I should have been drunk.

Maybe if I had met my spiritual mate on a train, as Mick did with Keith, my life could have been different.

Do you know this story?

Mick and Keith met in school at a very young age, they rode tricycles together, but ended up going to different schools at some point.

One day..............a very specific date - October 17, 1961 - Keith walked onto a train carrying his guitar, Mick was on the train with 2 records under his arm. Rockin' At The Hops by Chuck Berry, and The Best of Muddy Waters. They recognized each other, realized they had mutual musical interests and..................you get it.

I love - absolutely worship - the randomness of the seeds of greatness. This shit happens somewhat randomly, but not really. It fucking had to happen.

I could tell you the story of The Beatles coming together, but today is not the day.

Mick and Keith would put a band together in 1961 along with Brian Jones and kaboom kaboom kaboom....ladies and gentlemen The Rolling Stones.

It is 2021. They are still rocking.

My heart leans toward Keith because he is the kind of man I'd like to be. BUT Mick is a god.

He made The Stones "The Stones" over the 10 year period that Keith was doing heroin. Mick managed everything. Every little fucking thing.

Beyond that - he is the ultimate showman. The quintessential frontman; lead singer - focus of attention.

And he learned to play guitar so he could contribute more to the band. Imagine taking on guitar in a band featuring Keith Richards and Brian Jones, and eventually Mick Taylor and Ronnie Woods.

Are you fucking kidding me?

He plays a mean harmonica too.

Love the man.

Every time I hear some brainless shithead mocking The Stones, saying they are too fucking old to be doing what they are doing - I want to eviscerate them. 

The Stones have too much pride - they wouldn't keep doing what they are doing if they could not fucking deliver. They have pride in themselves and pride in the music they play, which is deeply rooted in the blues.

Happy Birthday, Mick.

You deserve everything you got. You earned it.

And you still make me smile and bob my head and tap my foot and sing along.

Those are the moments I live for, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment