Saturday, November 20, 2021

A Spectacular Run

Today, Carol and I are going to Craig and Amanda's house for dinner - and to meet Amanda's parents.

I will have to be on my best behavior. Maybe even bathe before the visit.

We are excited to meet Amanda's parents because they are exceptional people. 

Amanda had a rough childhood. Her biological parents were addicts/ alcoholics. She spent time in foster homes. Eventually the couple we are to meet today adopted her. And loved her. And took great care of her.

I know this because Amanda is a sweetheart. And a very strong person. And successful. She manages a golf course and restaurant - she is the top dog. Impressive.

Amanda has the date her parents adopted her tattooed on her arm. Because, as she explains it - that was the day she found her forever family. That is so meaningful that words cannot do it justice.

Fun fact: Amanda and Craig tell us her parents are fun people. This should be a great visit on many levels. 

So that's today. Super psyched about this.

Next Thursday is a holiday we like to call Thanksgiving. Our favorite day of the year. 

A day that was murdered by covid last year - Carol and I spent it alone, except for a morning visit from Craig and Amanda, when we sat out on the screened-in porch wrapped in blankets. Drank coffee, ate Dunkin food, sipped a little whiskey.

It was a sad and difficult afternoon but, as usual, Carol kept up her spirits, which helped me a lot.

This year Keith will be here, Krista will not. She will be with her family, which we completely understand. She will be missed, but we are happy for her that she gets to spend this special day with the people who have loved her for all of her life.

Craig and Amanda will be here. Our friends Jason and Karen will be here. Our cats Emmy Lou and Patsy will be here to provide entertainment and sweet innocence

The house will be full. There will be much laughter and a lot of love.

My brother Ed and his wife Carolina will not be here. This disappoints me, but you gotta roll with the punches. That's all I'm gonna say.

We will be celebrating Carol's birthday on Thanksgiving; another thing we got cheated out of last year.

Having the family gathered around her, in love and happiness, for her birthday, is what she deserves. She will be beaming, as she always does when our family is together. She is the matriarch of this family. A source of strength, an inspiration for toughness, a straight shooter who is exactly who she is no matter who she is with or what situation she is in.

An amazing woman who I had the good fortune to marry, and who tolerates my flaky, creatively-driven personality with a smile. She actually loves me. I am grateful for that.

Two big days that are all about family. Carol and I worship our family. Our love for them exceeds most people's capacity to love. That's a bold statement, to quote John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Love is a natural thing within most families. It is powerful. I know that. All I am saying is that it is impossible to love a family more than Carol and I do ours.

Two big days, man. Two days that will fill me and Carol up to the point where we will be walking on air for weeks.

That is compelling stuff, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment