Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Rynborn

Used to be a blues club in Antrim, NH called The Rynborn. The greatest blues club in the history of the world.
At least in my mind.
I moved to NH in 1986; I don't remember when I discovered The Rynborn but I thank god that I did. I worship music, it is my religion and my savior and my release, and I worship the blues above all other genres of music. I hate the word genre because music is one religion and does not need to be analyzed and categorized; I use the word to make a point.
The Rynborn became my church. I spent countless nights in that smoke filled atmosphere, listening to music that elevated my soul and made me forget about my small life and actually transported me to a sublime existence in a spiritual world.
The club was started by two guys; one I never knew, the other I did. Doug Aborn.
I went there early one weekday afternoon to buy tickets for an upcoming show. There was no one else in the place. Doug stepped behind the bar, he sold me the tickets, I had a couple of drinks and somehow I ended up telling him the story of my life. I will never forget that afternoon. Doug told me he thought I was a pretty honest guy because I talked of my failures and did not place blame. That encounter earned me the right to talk to Doug whenever I was at the club. When I was there with friends I felt like a king because of that. Even though I was probably sucking up, he never made me feel that way; he remembered my name and talked to me respectfully.
Doug got it. He wasn't just running a bar, he was a blues lover. I never had to check the paper to see who was playing because I knew that whoever was there kicked ass. If I wanted a blues fix on a Tuesday night, I just went. And I was never disappointed. Even on open mic nights you got people who cared, who loved the music and who wanted to express themselves without making fools out of themselves. I specifically remember one week night when there was a dude playing who I never heard of before. He was from LA and he rocked. Walked right up to my table with his guitar slung low and wailed within one foot of me; I was blown away. Can you experience that on a random week night? I doubt it. I'm not even sure that opportunity even exists anymore.
Luther Guitar Junior Johnson. Played with Muddy Waters. Do you understand that lineage? It is a direct link to blues royalty. He lived in Antrim for years and was a regular at The Rynborn. I saw him as often as I could. I celebrated my fiftieth birthday in his presence and have an autographed T-shirt to commemorate that night.
There is a guy named Skip Philbrick who I completely dug and still do. Mississippi Skippy. He toured with Luther, and has a million cool stories to tell about that and all the other cool authentic blues dudes he has played with over the years. He was a regular and even managed the hotel across the street where many of the musicians stayed. Better believe there are some amazing stories connected with that gig.
I applied for a bartending job, 5 and 1/2 years ago where Skip hangs, but I didn't know that at the time. Walked in and saw Skip standing there. I was speechless. Did the interview, and then walked over to Skip to tell him that I always dug him at The Rynborn and to thank him for the many, many great nights I spent digging his soul while swilling whiskey in complete, joyous abandon. I now have the privilege from time to time of having a drink with Skip. Amazing how life works. I worship the blues, and I get to drink with a guy who is directly linked to the very history of the blues.
The Rynborn closed years ago, and I have been completely lost since then. As far as I can figure out there are no good authentic blues bars within shouting distance of where I live. This is an unforgivaeble sin. I'm not the kind of guy to spend every night sitting in a bar UNLESS you got some soul saving music to vibrate my spirit. The Rynborn was my home for many years and I will never forget the many, many nights I sat and drank and breathed in an atmosphere and a music that helped me make sense of my life.
I pray that things will change and that an opportunity like that will come alive once again. For me and Skip and Luther and everydamnbody who understands that the blues connect with your very soul and confirm the magic of life. That is not exaggeration and I will stand by that statement until the day I die.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, you said it all. I ran the Ryborn web site for a few years before the club moved to Keene. It WAS great...a time & place I will NEVER forget. Thanks, Paul Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear from you. After all these years I still mourn the passing and miss the place. Have no idea where to go to hear live rockin' blues. I have become a musical hermit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the RYNBORN and Skip, Luther Doug, Big Jim. I would have never picked up an electric guitar when I did if not for Skip He used to do a duo with a TROMBONE PLAYER on Thursdays. It was so fucking out there and great. I miss the RynBorn.

    ReplyDelete