Saturday, December 10, 2016

By Way Of Comparison

We, my age group, my generation, are in a deeply meaningful stage of our lives.

Those who inspired us when we were young are dying off, leaving enormous voids. Friends and relatives are dying too.

These realities coalesce to define a grim truth. And to inspire introspection. To consider fate in all its unpredictability.

My friend Phil turned me on to the death of a high school classmate.

Barry Kaplovitz. He was 62 and died on November 30 of - fucking cancer.

I was an honorary member of what I call the Jewish contingent. Had a lot of Jewish friends in high school.

Some were part of the inner circle of insanity; those with whom I drank and smoked pot and generally pursued insanity with extreme prejudice.

Some were friends in other ways. Barry Kapolovitz was one of these.

I have not been in contact with him since high school; no contact since 1972 when we were both eighteen years old.

Something made me want to read his obituary. I don't know why. But I did and it hit me hard.

Here it is:

"Kaplovitz, Barry J. Political consultant of Winthrop, passed away November 30, succumbing to cancer. He was 62.
Born in Boston to Maxwell (1913-1991) and Fay Ediss Kaplovitz (1921-2011), Barry graduated from Winthrop High School in 1972 and the University of Chicago in 1978.
Returning to Boston he joined the gubernatorial campaign of Edward J. King as an issues adviser and served the King administration in that capacity.
Subsequently he joined a political consulting firm and soon formed his own company, BKA, Inc., focused on ballot referendum, gubernatorial and legislative contests around the US.
He pivoted to clients in TV broadcasting eventually, providing advice to stations in the Midwest and Florida.
His passing is mourned by a sister, Susan Kaplovitz, and cousins Ellen Kaplovitz, Nessa Kleinglass, Phyllis Snyder, Alan Pyenson, and Gary Stone.
Barry will be greatly missed by friends, neighbors and associates, with whom he enjoyed spirited dialogue and discussion.
The loss of this generous, good-humored, and ever-optimistic person leaves us all broken-hearted."

That is quite a life-resume, both professionally and personally. Sounds to me like Barry lived his life.

Congratulations, Barry on your successes. I hope beyond any other consideration, that you were happy.

By way of comparison:

Testa, Joseph R.................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment