Wednesday, June 28, 2017

My Secret Weapon

"Don't pussy out on me now. They don't know. They don't know shit. You're not gonna get hurt. You're fucking Baretta. They believe every fucking word because you're super cool."

Mr. Orange, from "Reservoir Dogs".

I stole these lines from him and I use them. To pump myself up when I need it. To protect myself.

It's the scene where he is about to go downstairs to the car to pull the jewelry store heist. As you remember, he is an undercover cop. He is trying to psyche himself up for what he has to do, hoping to remain safe. He's about to walk out the door, hesitates, closes the door and looks into the mirror and recites those lines.

Unfortunately he ultimately winds up dead. I ignore that detail in my preparations.

I really do this. Usually in the mirror of my car after arriving at a new job or any other situation that makes me uncomfortable. I sit up, look in the mirror and recite my lines.

Sometimes I do it at home before leaving, if the situation demands it.

When I started the new job I did it a few times until I got comfortable. One day I was walking from my car to the job reciting the lines out loud when I realized someone was walking behind me.

Don't know where he came from but I hope he enjoyed the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment