Thursday, June 21, 2018

Mothers Day/Fathers Day

These holidays are real.

There have been times in my life where I felt the whole thing was artificial, an excuse to summon the kids to the house to worship the parents. Not from my point of view or Carol's point of view for sure; any time Keith and Craig visit us it is an amazing highlight.

My reservations come from my own upbringing. Being a son carried with it an obligation, an obligation to pay homage to the creators. It felt heavy to me; it felt artificial.

I never wanted that cloud to hang over the heads of my sons.

I think Carol and I succeeded at that.

They were here last weekend for Fathers Day and it was magnificent.

I could have leased a Lear jet and flown us all to Hawaii, all expenses paid, for a barbecue with Willie Nelson, Woody Harrelson and Kris Kristofferson.

I decided against that.

Instead I barbecued cheeseburgers, we consumed them on the screened in porch, we went inside and watched golf and the Red Sox.

It was such a comfortable and enjoyable day.

After they left Carol and I talked about the day, as we always do.

We came to the conclusion that Keith and Craig make us feel good as parents; they make us feel good about ourselves.

Very few people can - or are inclined to - make you feel good about yourself. Keith and Craig do it effortlessly.

For this we are grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment