Tuesday, June 26, 2018

One More Reason

One more reason why I love music.

Why I could never, under any circumstance, live without it. When that Fuckhead trump gets around to banning music I will kill myself.

I was bippity bopping to work this morning listening to Sirius XM and up pops "Wild Thing", by The Troggs.

Now dig, I got all four windows down, the sunroof open, I am smiling in the sun even though it was borderline cool. Fuck it, mama. I am making this summer my own, even if I have to compromise a little warmth.

My brain starts cookin' and I'm thinking what a great song this is. I have always loved it. Even though it is simplistic, even though it is kinda humorous - it is a great goddamn song.

And I'm thinking how simple a love song can be. This particular song, expressing love in as basic a way as is possible.

I am smiling.

The very next song is "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney. One of my favorite songs of all time. A song I rarely get through without shedding a tear, because I think about Carol.  Especially now.

"..............Maybe you're the only woman who could ever help me........................" (she tries so hard).

And I'm thinking here is another simple love song but in a completely different way. A much more serious song, a powerful song, a song where Paul stresses his vocal cords to the limit at times, a song written by a Beatle, for Christ sake.

A song packed with emotion and wonder and self deprecation, self doubt, and an awareness of the power of love. The power of having somebody by your side to love you.

Now I am REALLY smiling. Once again music has saved me, given me a new awareness, a refreshed perspective.

Jesus Christ, man - what more do I need? What more can anybody ask for?

I'm driving to work kind of down. Not because of the job; I like the job. But because somebody else gets to control my schedule, tell me where to be, when to be there, how long to stay there.

I never thought I would be in this position at this age.

Then along come The Troggs and Paul McCartney to flame up my brain and my emotions, to make me feel alive when seconds earlier I felt like I was driving a hearse.

I would shoot music into my veins if that was possible.

I NEED it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment