Thursday, August 2, 2018

And In A Related Story...................

I think I am in love with John Mellencamp.

It has been a slow growing romance but, recently, it has burst into flame.

A few years a go I picked up a CD of his titled "No Better Than This". I was blown away by it. I listened to it over and over and over again. It is filled with songs about every day people and every day lives, and small emotions and huge emotions, nostalgia, sadness and humor.

Fucking amazing.

A couple of nights ago I watched a new documentary on and by Mellencamp titled "Plain Spoken".

Which is a perfect title because that is exactly what he is and always has been.

It was footage of one of his recent concerts, with Mellencamp speaking over the broadcast. He talked about his life, his career, his values, his approach to life and relationship with the music industry and life itself.

Very enlightening.

He floored me near the end. Absolutely floored me.

He said "There is no reward in this world for settling for something you don't want. There is no reward in this world for settling for something you don't want. There is no reward in this world for settling for something you don't want."

He said it three times. And followed it up with "If you settle for something you don't want, then you are going to be disillusioned, you will feel cheated, and you are not living life to the fullest."

Sound like you? You know it does. Sounds like me.

The feeling of disillusionment and being cheated, the awareness of not living life to the fullest, is the sound of your soul suffocating.

I love this man. I love his music. I respect what he has done with his life.

I appreciate his wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment