Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A Certain Type

There is a certain type of movie that resonates with my soul.

Do you have that? I fucking hope so. You need it. You need something so powerful that you can escape your own life for a couple of hours.

If you don't have that you are probably an alcoholic or a drug addict, and that is completely understandable.

For me, the story, the characters, the setting , the music - every single piece of it connects with exactly who I am.

There is no one  stereotype - I could list at least a dozen movies - probably 25 - that mean this much to me. I am not going to list them because what resonates with me does not resonate with you, and if you do not connect with what I connect with I just don't give a shit. This is my life.

A recent comparison. There is a movie called "Heat". Pacino. De Niro. Everything about that movie validates who I am. There is one scene in that movie that I have elevated to iconic status in my mind.

Al Pacino is a detective. De Niro is a high level crook. At one point they meet in a diner to have a conversation. And that conversation is dripping with awareness.

Pacino knows who De Niro is and what he has done, De Niro knows Pacino is a cop who will do anything to take him down.

The tension in the scene comes from an awareness that each man respects the other, but there is also an awareness, blatantly obvious, that each man will kill the other if it comes down to it. Their conversation is direct, and whatever subtext there is, is right out there in the open for the two of them to consider.

Watch the movie. Unless you are fully committed to watching Vin Diesel in The Fast and The Furious XXV. In that case, go fuck yourself. You are not a movie fan; you are a celebrity fan.

In 2016 a movie called "Hell Or High Water" showed up. Starring Jeff Bridges. Grabbed me by the throat.

The final scene is mind blowing, reminiscent of the Pacino/De Niro scene in "Heat". I put it on the same level. The whole movie is good, maybe you'll have the guts to watch it (I don't fucking care), but that last scene between Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine (Toby Howard in the movie), is what life should be all about, but isn't. Just like Pacino and De Niro.

What I fucking love about this is that "Heat" came out in 1995, "Hell Or High Water" came out in 2016. Movies keep rolling along and, if you are lucky, you keep stumbling across a movie that just pins you to your seat and opens your mind to possibilities of a life you may have led.

Or a life you wish you had.

Brief aside: I am on a Jeff Bridges kick right now. Watch "Crazy Heart" if you dare. I have 4 or 5 or 6 times now. Last Tuesday was the most recent. Very human, very straight ahead real.

The movies that I watch save me. So far, anyway. They provide a reality I wish I could incorporate into my own life. To avoid boredom, to avoid phoniness, to avoid political correctness.

To avoid niceness. Christ I fucking hate being nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment