Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Happiest Man On Planet Earth

I walked down the driveway on the morning of July 4th to grab Carol's paper.

As I crossed the street I heard John Denver singing "Rocky Mountain High." Looking to my right I saw a guy riding a bike up the road. I grabbed Carol's paper and as I turned around the guy was right up on me. "What a beautiful day" he said with exuberance. I said "Enjoy your day" with equal exuberance, and he and John Denver faded away down the road.

What a great way to begin a long holiday weekend. The guy made me feel good.

I enjoy these holiday weekends because I am empathetic. Severely empathetic.

Carol and I don't do much anymore. Pretty much hang around and ask "Whaddya wanna do?" "I dunno, whaddya you wanna do?" Then we smoke opium and watch a Law & Order marathon.

But I enjoy imagining other peoples' happiness. I was driving to work on July 3rd and got behind a pickup that was towing a camper, which was behind a pickup towing a camper. My first reaction was "Fuck, now I'll be travelling 45 mph." But I am maturing at a rapid rate, so my immediate afterthought was "What the fuck do I care? I'm only going to work. If I'm late I'm late."

This resulted in immediate relaxation.

I imagined these people setting up in a pristine campground and chilling for four fucking days. FOUR days. For most working people that is a 2 week vacation.

So cool when a holiday falls like that. A lot of people get to escape their harsh reality for what feels like a lifetime. And everybody deserves that kind of break.

But you know my position - our society today is an inoperable cancerous tumor. I believe the majority of working people do not get four days. I would love to see some stats. How many people actually get to enjoy a loooooooooong holiday weekend? I know a number of people who worked on July 4th.

Anyway I am happy for the people who do get time off.

As I always say, you can feel a long weekend. It's in the air, it's in peoples' attitudes. Everybody walking around relaxed, shorts and a t-shirt, strolling out of Dunkin Donuts with no stress on their faces. No fucking stress. People eating outside at restaurants, people barbecuing, hiking, biking, boating. People smiling and laughing. With friends. With family.

I love it. I am happy for everbody's sweet release.

And just so you know, just so you don't think I'm feeling sorry for my self, on Saturday of the holiday weekend Carol and I went to a great party/cookout/fireworks display. Put on annually by our friends Jason and Karen.

Jason is gay and Karen is a transsexual. I don't know how their relationship works but it does. And we are proud to call them friends.

Small crowd because people got spooked by all the rain. Small crowds are better; you don't feel pressured to mix and mingle and engage in mindless conversation. We hung around with my brother and his wife and a few other people and chilled and talked and ate and drank. It was quite pleasant.

Then we wandered down to the lake and enjoyed Jason's fireworks display. It is professional grade. And riveting because Jason prefers rainbow colors.

So that's it. I'm running out of gas. Nothing else to say.

Except to tell you to find ways to enjoy your life. Even in small chunks; measured doses.

Grab yourself a holiday weekend or a bottle of good wine. Whatever works.

And remember to savor the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment