Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Trumpet

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass.

Ever hear of them?

I used to love them. Herb is a trumpet player.  I had a Tijuana Brass songbook, I played their songs on my trumpet.

I owned most of their albums.

Trumpet really stuck with me. I played bass guitar and acoustic guitar in my lifetime, but brass always gets me going. It connects with my soul.

Funny how that works. My parents encouraged us to play instruments, I chose the trumpet. I don't remember any conscious though process on my part, but maybe I instinctively knew a trumpet would resonate with my soul.

It did and I was damn good at it.

Years ago Keith and Craig and Carol bought me a trumpet. A Doc Severinsen model. A very thoughtful gift, considering my history with the instrument. I have picked it up and played it off and on. Feels so good in my hands. My intent is to make it a regular part of my arsenal one of these days because it frees up an essential part of me that is currently being denied (to my detriment).

Brief aside: You want to hear some pretty trumpet playing? Dial up Chet Baker on YouTube. Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

So, where is all this coming from? Carol was recently watching a movie, I was up here in my lair. Door closed, but unfortunately the room is not soundproofed. Someday, when I am a billionaire..............

The movie credits rolled to the song "This Guy's In Love With You", by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass.

An electric shock ran through my body when I heard it. One of "those" moments when I was instantaneously transported back to my youth, back to a joyful part of my life, back to something that meant something to me, something I took great pride in.

Emotion washed over me like a tidal wave.

It is a simple song, a quiet song and a pretty song. I loved playing it on my trumpet.

Hearing it again made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment