Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Day 2023, Baby

 "But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round - apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that - as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it."

Fred Holywell, from A Christmas Carol

This is what Christmas is to me this year, in all it's purity. Sweet magnificance.

Typically I allow cynicism to creep in, except when I am celebrating with my family. But during the lead-up to, and the aftermath, my lips are curled in sarcastic sneer.

This year is different. I'm feeling good, and I'm opening my heart, regardless of the risk of it being impaled by the vicious thrusts of daggers sharpened with evil intentions.

"as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely," - these are the important words from Fred's comment.

I have been moving about with the words Merry Christmas dripping off my lips - every chance I get. Dunkin Donuts, the liquor store, Market Basket, Jersey Mike's, Old Navy - to name a few. Blurting Merry Christmas as if it was a sacred blessing - and meaning it. 

And accepting the "Merry Christmas return" with no cynical judgement. Accepting it as a genuine expression from a stranger wishing me a joyous holiday. Feels so goddamn good.

Dropping a dollar into the Salvation Army bucket outside Market Basket every single time, which I have visited 287 times in the past few weeks. Me and the bell ringer dude have established a good relationship - mini conversations, he knows me, I know him. And when he says "God bless you" I say "Thank you" and I mean it.

Christmas can be a pretty sweet thing when you allow it to be what it is intended to be.

Today Carol and I will be with Keith & Krista, Craig, Amanda & Jackson (in Amanda's belly), Ed & Carolina. What a sweet, fun and love-filled day it will be.

My family is magnificent, but we don't all get together as often as we should. But that's life, baby. So today is magic. Special. An incredible moment in time when we can relax, laugh, and take the time to appreciate just how special this particular gathering of human beings is.

Totally unique. Ain't no other family like it. There can't be. Every family is unique. And the beauty of family is that you take a group of individuals and bring them together, and they are family, which takes every special thing about each of us and makes it even better. To create this thing that is greater than the sum of the parts. And when you have the right parts, it becomes sacred.

And my family has the right parts.

Carol and I, and Eddie are the elders. Time goes by so fast that the best you can do is stand back and appreciate how the family has evolved. We will do that today in gratitude, awe, wonder, and love.

It does not get any better than this.

Merry Christmas to this amazing family.

No comments:

Post a Comment