Tuesday, January 16, 2024

And Thank God For Jack Daniel's

I know you have seen the ad by now.

The one with all the rock 'n rollers rockin' out, with a bottle of Jack Daniel's prominently displayed in every scene.

I loved it the first time I saw it. Because it makes the connection between whiskey and rockin' out. It doesn't just make the connection - it celebrates it. Which is only right and natural.

The pairing is perfect. You cannot have it any other way. 

PB&J. Turkey & Swiss. Bangers & Mash. White wine & Fish. Cheech & Chong. Jack Daniel's and rock 'n roll.

My soul suffocated many years ago when musicians started showing up on stage with bottles of water and no cigarettes. I knew then that society was headed in the wrong direction - antiseptic, watered down, spineless.

Rock music is defiant, man, and the people who play it need to be the same way.

Shit, man - when I was a kid, rock bands would walk on stage, plant a bottle of Jack Daniel's firmly on their amps, cigarette dangling from their mouth or tucked under the guitar strings up by the nut, and go to work.

Those are real musicians in the Jack Daniel's ad, by the way, spreading the gospel. And the sound track is AC/DC - Back In Black, which is fucking perfect. Straight ahead kick-ass rock 'n roll.

We should all live our lives with Jack Daniel's on the amp and a cigarette dangling from our lips. But we can't. So it's up to musicians to shoulder the load.

If they continue to let us down, as they have been for quite a while now, we might as well all just give up and agree to wear beige jumpsuits, watch The Brady Bunch in endless reruns, and talk about the weather.

My god - bile is rising to my throat as I think about it.

I look awful in a jumpsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment