Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Jesus IS a Football Fan

I ordered the complete illustrated history of The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS  a couple of weeks ago through Amazon's used book deal. It arrived yesterday. Two days before the beginning of the 2011 NFL season.This confirms my belief that jesus is a football fan.
The used books must be delivered by mule - they take weeks to arrive. If I buy a new book it is here in days. Used - weeks. Anyway it is a big, beautiful book with lots of pictures and lots of words. Many times illustrated books are not wordy and you feel like a kindergarten kid when you "read' them. Not the case with this bible - it thrills me just to have it in my hands.
Now I can learn everything about THE PATS. Everything that my son Keith already knows. He has a brilliant sports mind. A gifted intelligence in general. One of my goals is to be able to hold a PATS conversation on equal terms with him. A lofty goal indeed. Now I have a weapon.
I owe Keith. I always loved football. He taught me to love THE PATS.
The cover has a picture of THE PATS Flying Elvis helmet and a smaller picture of Brady with his arms up in celebration. You know, the way he does when WE score a TD. Or when we win a Super Bowl or two.
The first couple of paragraphs talk about how THE PATS didn't even have their own stadium for the first 11 years of their existence; no potential Hall of Famers, no playoff games. The last page has a glorious picture looking into Gillette Stadium directly at the THREE championship flags. I have goosebumps.
This is part of my master plan to become a thoroughly knowledgeable football fan. To know the game in my bones. It is pure emotion for me and always has been. I want to add a little brain to the experience this year.
I worship this book. I will sleep with it under my pillow. I will carry it under my arm everywhere I go like some nerdy school child.
Truthfully I will never know what Keith knows about any aspect of sports. He was BORN with sports knowledge. One of my favorite stories to tell was the time he won a weekly newspaper sponsored football pool. I believe he was 10 years old at the time. Or younger. Competing against adults. I was and still am amazingly proud of him.
I will caress and pray to this book. I will kiss it secretly when Carol is not looking. Hopefully I will gain enough knowledge about THE PATS that I can hold my own in a conversation with Keith. One of my goals because I respect his knowledge and I want to share in and bask in the glow.
Thank you, jesus. And GO PATS.

No comments:

Post a Comment