Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Time

You never know where inspiration is going to come from.

Reading "One Way Out", about The Allman Brothers.

Oteil Burbridge, the current bassist with the band, in talking about recent history and wanting to finally put all the internal squabbles behind them, said:

"Time is as important as money at a certain point in your life. Maybe more important."

Boom.

The book almost trembled in my hands when I read those words.

There is probably not one member of my generation that is not thinking that way right now.

1/01/14 knocked me off balance and pushed me to try harder. To try different approaches, to make a change, to coral my life meaningfully in my arms.

I have taken steps, but not enough and not big enough. I am good at letting myself down, but working harder at not doing so.

1/01/15 approaches. I hear it coming. 61. Just can't stop the thundering footsteps of time.

Since I cannot stop them I must work harder within them.

Went to Old Orchard Beach last week, Thursday to Sunday. Deeply restful for me and Carol. In addition I am on vacation this week.

Eleven consecutive days away from The Asylum, in total.

Feels like a thousand.

I am rested. Peaceful.

Focusing on working the change for the rest of this break. Tinkering with my insides and my habits.

The rich and the successful take months off to reinvent themselves. Especially creative types.

We little folk don't have that luxury.

But eleven days can be an eternity. If you make progress. If you effect change.

Time is more important to me than money because I ain't got a whole hell of a lot of it left, no matter how positively you choose to look at it.

60 ain't middle age.

To a certain extent, these days are an escape. But just escaping is not healthy because that ugly beast will still be there on Monday, September 15.

An intelligent person would put this time to good use.

How smart am I?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment