Saturday, December 12, 2015

Christmas Spirit and Perspective

Just got home from work.

Shortly before I left, a woman and her kid came through my register. As they walked toward the register they were singing "Santa Claus is Coming To Town." You better watch out, you better not shout and all that.

Singing it. Openly. Boldly. In a liquor store.

It was beautiful.

Her son has Down Syndrome.

Got to the register and mom stopped singing. A short moment of silence and then her son started belting out the chorus like Bruce Springsteen - "Santa Claus is coming to town, Santa Claus is coming to town, Santa Claus is coming to town." Really rocking it out and accentuating it like Springsteen does.

When he finished it I told him it was really cool. I told him it sounded like he was having fun and he said he was.

I said this is a good time of year to have fun and he lit up and said "Yeah, it's Christmas time and it is a very good time to have fun."

Mom told me he is nineteen years old and would I mind if she bought him a lottery scratch ticket. She bought it and he scratched it right there.

Slowly, neatly and meticulously.

Mom checked it out and told him he didn't win anything. I told her I should check it in the lottery machine just in case.

I did and it was a loser. I told him I was sorry, he did not win. I worried that he might be upset but he looked at me and said "Oh well, we tried our best."

Then he and his mom walked out singing.

This entire 2015 Christmas season and Christmas day happened in about five minutes right in front of my eyes at that register tonight.

How delicately beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment