Sunday, August 16, 2020

A One Page Play

 I'll have an absentee ballot please.

No, problem. You a NH resident?

Yes. Here's my ID.

Thanks. So where are you going to be. Out of the country? Another state?

Right here in NH.

Sorry, I'm confused. An absentee ballot is for when you cannot physically vote in the state in which you reside.

I'm stretching the definition to fit my life circumstance.

Which is?

I am absent from my own life. 

How so?

I am not living the life I was supposed to live. I am living someone else's life. I am absent from my own existence.

That's quite esoteric but it does not conform to the letter of the law.

Please indulge me. I am broken. Actually more invisible than broken. I am Pacino on the stage when all I really want is to be me. An absentee ballot will allow me to vote rather than the impostor moving around in this body.

This is heavy and I'm sure it makes sense to you but I do not have time for this. Find yourself a shrink.

I need to find a shrink that can differentiate Pacino from the real me. Almost impossible. I know. I have tried. I have been honing this performance for a lifetime. Even I can't tell the difference.

Please step out of line sir.

Please don't make me go home as him. I don't t trust him anymore. It feels like he is taking over, feels like I am disappearing. 

Pick up a bottle of nice whiskey on the way home and have a little party with your friend.

He is NOT my friend!!!!!!!!!!

Security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All right, all right. I'm leaving. The next time you see me I will have disappeared. But you won't care. Nobody will fucking care. Nobody even knows who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment