Monday, August 3, 2020

Marc Maron (Again?)

I have been listening to Marc Maron a lot more recently.

That is because I figured out I can listen to his podcast in my car. If I was 40 years old I would not have had to figure that out. It would have been intuitive knowledge. It took me about two weeks with the new car to figure out that I needed to connect my phone to access GPS.

In my defense, the 2011 Hyundai I owned had GPS as an option on the menu. Did not need a phone. The 2020 is a rolling computer. There are so many menu options that I assumed I was just looking in the wrong places. Scrolled through every fucking option, touched every icon I could touch on the touch screen, and then scrolled again and touched again - no GPS.

One day, after dropping acid, it came to me in a dream - plug in the phone, motherfucker. I was off and running.

Marc Maron is a smart guy. A sensitive guy. A funny guy. An honest guy. An honest guy to the point of rawness. Self aware and unafraid to express that part of him. 

He is one of the pioneers of podcasts. Been doing it for 11 years.

His girlfriend died unexpectedly in May of this year. It has devastated him. His 16 year old cat is on the verge of death and it freaks Marc out. He is a cat lover on the magnitude of my own cat love. He is dealing with coronavirus on his own - no more girlfriend. He is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict and has not relapsed. I respect him for that.

I love his honesty the most. He doesn't sugarcoat anything. He opens every podcast with about a ten minute talk. Often about coronavirus for the last few months.

He talks about how it freaks him out, how he has no clue how it will end or if it will end, how it depresses him, he talks about how fucking weird and backwards and upside down life is right now. He opens up his heart and soul.

I hate all this "we are all in this together" shit. On one level we are, on a more honest level we are not. There are fuckheads out there trying to kill me by not wearing masks.

I hate all the feelgood commercials trying to make it look like there is a future after covid. Like these corporations are our friends and only want the best for us.

They want to sell us shit. Period. I know. I bought a Hyundai. I want to believe in a future after covid but I think whatever future that is will be broken, and a lot of people will suffer and be unhappy for a long time.

Marc talks like this. But he also manages to make me laugh, somehow, during these reflections. I appreciate this.

That's why I love dark humor. Dark humor is based in honesty.

I want the honesty. Don't blow smoke up my ass. I am 66 years old and have lost a year of my life. I could easily die from one random contact, one small slip-up, one fucking mistake. I am afraid. I am depressed. I am angry.

Marc weaves intelligent thought, informed opinions and humor in with his commentary on just how horrible this situation is. He expresses himself in exactly the way I think.

If you expect me to listen to you, do not give me phony optimism. Admit that you are afraid. Everything is aligned against us, especially the current administration that is responsible for protecting us.

I have come to love and respect Marc Maron. For the person he is and for the way he expresses harsh truths and colors them with a sense of humor. I would love to shoot the shit with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment