Saturday, July 15, 2023

Know What I REALLY Want? (At This Time of Year)

I want to load up a cooler with beer and ice.

Toss in a bottle of whiskey. Motor on down to a friend's backyard, drawn in by the classic rock 'n roll playing on his spectacular speaker system. Set up a chair and settle in to talk with the other 20 fun-lovers that are there. Drink some beer, sip some whiskey. Watch the smoke rise from the grill as my stomach growls. Grab a burger and two dogs. Laugh. Fucking laugh. With abandon.

Just have a goddamn "forget about everything else" blast. A genuine blast. Does anyone my age remember how to party? Christ.

No talk about politics, insurance, or the real estate market. Is that even allowed at my age? Is there an unwritten rule that says "when you hit forty you must act reserved and pretend to be worldly even in obvious FUCK IT LET'S JUST HAVE FUN situations?"

I come back to this song time and time again. Allman Brothers. No One To Run With.

"Nobody left to run with anymore, nobody left to do the crazy things we used to do before, nobody left to run with anymore."

Know what? I am having a pretty good summer and I aim to keep it rolling. I am 69. I am not dead.

I will have my fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment