Monday, February 13, 2012

?????????????????????

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY LIFE? So sick yesterday that Carol and I could not go out for our 34th anniversary dinner. I spent the day sneezing and blowing my nose; Carol spent the day listening to me sneeze and blowing my nose and being repulsed.

Actually I know exactly what is going on. Somebody out there has a Voodoo Joe doll and they are sticking pins into it 24/7. I will seek you out and when I find you I will slice you up like a Ginsu knife through tomato.

It is disappointing  to have to reschedule a special event. I prefer to celebrate on the day the celebration was meant to be. It is meaningful that way. We'll go out to dinner, maybe in a week or two, we'll celebrate 34 years together and we'll have a good time. But it won't have that magical feeling it would have had yesterday. I don't like postponing birthday celebrations either. When you are a low wage earner you have so little specialness in your life, it means something to make a big deal out of the good stuff on the right day. Everything in your life is a compromise and a let down and has a little or a lot less about it than you would prefer, so when you reschedule an anniversary dinner or a birthday you are continuing to contribute to that flow of less in your life. You are not fighting against the tide, you are weakening yourself even more and letting life steal a little more of your dignity.
I was sick. Dinner was not an option unless the restaurant cleared away ten tables surrounding us to protect the innocent. And of course unless Carol exercised her legendary restraint and understanding and ignored my titanic sneezes and nasal waterfall, pretending to enjoy my company.
There was nothing we could do about it and yet I still feel cheated.
Hunter S. Thompson used to end a lot of his pieces with the phrase "res ipsa loquitor."  Latin for "the thing speaks for itself." I am using it out of context because it is really a legal term defining negligence in specific situations.
But to me, in this situation, it is referring to the negative karma I have accumulated over endless decades.
And you can take that to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment