Friday, February 24, 2012

The Internet Is Invaluable

You learn so much. I take a little look yesterday to make sure I spell Tony Reali's name correctly and I find out he's a huge Goodfellas fan. Who isn't.
It gets cooler.
I find out that on the occasion of the ninth anniversary of Around The Horn, Reali stages a remake of the Copacabana club scene in Goodfellas.
I watch it and get curious so I go back and watch the original scene from the original movie.
I had no idea this scene is considered an iconic scene in movie making. It was a steady cam shot - in other words the camera followed Ray Liotta and his girl continuously as he left his car and walked into the restaurant so you would get a feel for the flow, no breaks, you feel like you are following them into the club.
I decided that I love that scene. There's a line waiting to get into the club but Liotta goes through the kitchen entrance. Walks the corridors, knows everybody and says hi to them, they know him and say hi to him, he tips all the right people looking so cool, so impeccably dressed and coiffed. Walks through the kitchen and finally enters the club. The maitre d' recognizes him immediately, the club is crowded and he signals to a busboy to bring out a table. They bring out a table and set it up right out front - tablecloth and lamp it - light the lamp - and boom Ray and his girl have made their entrance.
Absolutely awesome.
I need that. My life has been such a disappointment to me that I require that level of success. I don't just want security. I want blinding stardom and awestruck respect. I want to take Carol out to the most expensive restaurant in the area and have everybody say "Hey Joe - How you doing?" I want first class, top shelf treatment. I want Carol to look at me with stars in her eyes and say "What do you do?" So I can answer "I'm in construction."
Do yourself a favor. Check out the Goodfellas Copacabana scene on You tube. You'll dig it. Then find the Tony Reali Around The Horn tribute and watch that. It is hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment