Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dig

"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity."

Gustave Flaubert

I was introduced to this quote by Christopher Hitchens in "Hitch 22".

Of course.

It moved me deeply.

It's my own thing, a reflection of what I love, what is important to me and who I am. I'm talking about my reaction to the quote.

I read words like that and I feel something inside. I put aside the book for a few seconds, I absorb the reaction, then I re-read it.

When I say "of course" I am referencing the fact that Mr. Hitchens brought these words into my life. This is what I am talking about when I say that reading writing of a certain caliber flexes the brain.

The brain hungers for newness. Hence the sad, blank stares on most of our faces as we stagger out of bed and off to work every boring day.

Another reason it will take me longer than usual to read this book is the goddamn footnotes. I never read footnotes. They annoy me. They distract me.

I cannot not read the footnotes in "Hitch 22". Even the footnotes are enriching and enlightening.

Anyway....................., Gustave baby, I dig your words.

No comments:

Post a Comment