Thursday, February 20, 2014

Learning How To Be Positive

I finished "Hitch-22" this morning.

What a read. Christopher Hitchens had a mind to be envied. Mine by way of comparison is jello.

I read a sentence this morning and I thought I knew where he was going with it. His sentences tend to be flowing and it gives the mind time to anticipate.

As I desperately try to make up lost time in my post-60 life, I increasingly get the feeling that everything is moving too fast.

Technology, information, innovation all happening at a pace that is dizzying. My thirst for knowledge is unquenchable but the information that is available grows exponentially and I despair of ever catching up, never mind keeping up.

It feels overwhelming to me.

So that's where I thought he was going with the following sentence.

He certainly taught me a lesson.

"It is not only true that the test of knowledge is an acute and cultivated awareness of how little one knows (as Socrates knew so well), it is true that the unbounded areas and fields of one's ignorance are now expanding in such a way, and at such a velocity, as to make the contemplation of them almost fantastically beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment