Wednesday, February 12, 2014

For Those Striving To Express Individuality

Michael Madsen writes poetry.

This is the kind of poetry that inspires some people to say "That's not poetry. It doesn't rhyme."

Whatever.

When I write poetry it tends to be of this type. I have submitted it to websites and magazines and been rejected, sometimes with the critique - "It's too conversational."

There should be no rules for poetry, no expectations.

Hitting home hard with conciseness and preciseness of word usage is all that counts.

Anyway..................

The opening lines to one of his poems go like this:

"People don't understand me a lot,
but the more that happened
the more I understood myself.

So I guess I should thank them.
They accomplished something
in their singleminded idiocy."

From "Prado" by Michael Madsen

No comments:

Post a Comment