Monday, March 17, 2014

Me & Jack & God

I am always looking for magical ways to delay death.

I have previously expressed my belief that I can never die as long as I am reading a book. God could not possibly be callous enough to kill a person who is engrossed in a novel. The risky times are when I am in between books. I am vulnerable then.

You say, under those circumstances, a smart person would start a new book immediately upon finishing the previous one. Guaranteeing immortality.

I am not that smart. So overnight becomes quite dangerous. And with this ridiculous job I currently endure, I sometimes go three four five days without reading.

That is really pushing it.

Actually, the real reason I don't start another book immediately upon finishing the previous one is all about mood. When I read a book, I get into it completely. Whatever it is, the mood, the atmosphere, the ambiance, the fascination - I cannot just jump into another book. Another set of emotions. I have to come down.

Still, I am not that smart.

I have decided to expand my theory a little more because, well, I am sixty now - I need every advantage I can get. Got a hell of a lot of unfinished business.

I decided to read all of the Jack Reacher novels in order. There are 18 of them. I started Die Trying this morning. Die Trying is number 2.

I read the first one, Killing Floor, a while back. Loved it. Dug it deeply.

Jack Reacher is a real man. A man's man. A guy who is tough. Tough in body, spirit and mind. A guy who can handle any situation and anybody. A man of mystery as well.

Jack Reacher is the opposite of who I am. So when I read his novels I become the toughest, smartest, most resourceful man in the world.

I really like the way that feels.

In addition, the stories are good. They suck me right in so I can forget about my life. Completely.

God could not possibly take a man who is in the middle of plowing his way through 18 consecutive novels.

Could he?

With my voracious reading habits, this will take quite a while. They won't be read one after the other. Many books will be sprinkled in between.

Many, many, many books.

In the meantime, when I am not reading and when I am not staggering through endless hours at The Asylum, maybe I can wrap my arms around the greased pig my life has been up to this point.

This plan is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment