Sunday, March 2, 2014

Soundtrack For Summer

I might make Sheryl Crow my soundtrack for the summer.

Seems an unlikely choice. Normally I would gravitate towards The Allman Brothers and any and all blues.

I found a lost box of CD's recently. Yesterday I reached in randomly and came up with The Very Best of Sheryl Crow. The album was released in 2003, so I doubt it is the very best anymore. I mean the woman has evolved since then. Still it is one hell of an album.

I'm driving towards The Asylum and bobbing my head to "All I Wanna Do." Forgetting about the goddamn snow, the repulsive cold. Thinking, yeah, all I wanna do is have some fun.

Been cooped up and beat down all winter with more torture to come. When spring rolls around you better believe all hell is gonna break loose.

Then, BAM, "Soak Up The Sun" follows up. Perfect. Give me some sun, all the sun you got, all the sun I can handle.

I want to bask in it, NEED to bask in it, my body and soul crave it. When the first truly warm day rolls around, I am going to grab an ice cold beer and go sit out on the stoop, face tilted heavenward, until my skin turns red and falls off my body.

Christ I need it.

And so do you.

By the way, when Sheryl opens up "All I Wanna Do" with "Hit it. This ain't no disco. It ain't no country club either. This is LA," it floors me. It's the way she says "this is LA", in that girlie, partying, insider knowledge way. Makes me want to hop a flight to LA immediately.

Even "Leaving Las Vegas" can be used to augment the summer experience if you look at it under the right light. Getting out, making a change, starting over. That's what spring and, especially summer, are.

You keep your head down all winter and life whistles by, unseen and unappreciated.

It gets warm, you pick your head up and goddamn you feel good, and you want to do everything, experience everything, feel everything before you are forced to hibernate yet again.

I plan on completely losing my mind in the warm. Winter was harsh and I haven't felt very good or healthy. Lately I am feeling much better and have a fresh appreciation for what it means to feel good.

I am not all the way back, but I think I will be by the time I get an opportunity to sip that beer on the stoop.

There will be dancing and singing and concerts and barbecues and movies and walks and sunburn.

I own the coming warm weather. I own it. I will make it mine. You will have to ask my permission to enjoy it.

Don't hold me to the Sheryl Crow thing. I will use the bits and pieces of her that I need but I'll probably sprinkle in other stuff.

Like "Here Comes The Sun" and "Good Day Sunshine" by The Beatles for starters.

Anyway, bless her sexy heart for awakening my anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment