Monday, September 12, 2016

Football Is Back (Thank You Jesus)

Vacation is done.

What the hell do you do when vacation is done? What the hell do you say? I'll get back to that.

Got home yesterday around 12:30. Kissed the hell out of the cats, freshened up their water bowl, cleaned the kitty litter box, unpacked, poured myself a short whiskey and sat down to watch football.

I was all about football, switching back and forth between Packers/Jags and Bengals/Jets but Carol gently reminded me that The Sox were playing.

This is mid September baseball, baby and The Sox are up two games; hot damn let insanity rule. So we watched baseball and I flipped between the two football games in between innings.

Jesus Christ - Packers 27, Jags 23; Bengals 23, Jets 22. Are you kidding me? Two exciting games.

When The Sox finished carving another notch in their belt I watched Giants/Cowboys.

Jesus Christ - Giants 20, Cowboys 19. Are you kidding me?

Then I moved on to PATS/Cardinals.

Jesus Christ - PATS 23, Cardinals 21. Are you kidding me?

What an amazing, fulfilling, exciting and stimulating Week 1 of the 2016/2017 NFL season.

I crazy go nuts for football. I gotta have it. It supercharges me every year and reminds me that I am actually alive, not just existing.

And it eases the return from Old Orchard Beach.

Our life is small. Four days at Old Orchard Beach. That is our annual vacation. That's it.

No visit to the French Riviera, Arizona, Hawaii, Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, New Orleans, Italy or Paris.

Not that I wouldn't like to visit those places. I would. I dearly would. Probably won't happen, though.

Still, OOB soothes our souls and our psyches; it brings peace and the ocean is mesmerizing.

Coming home is both jarring and comforting.

So what do you do when you get home?

The ideal would be to take that vacation energy and use it to transform your life and your personality. Blow things up and walk through the debris to a new and exciting reality.

We humans are creatures of habit. Restricted by routine.

You come home, you slip back into that routine and the vacation becomes more of a temporary high from a wonderful drug rather than a transformative experience.

There is something sadly wrong about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment