Sunday, September 25, 2016

Nice

I hate the word nice.

It is weak. Packs no punch.

However I have no choice, I am forced to use the word to describe the night Carol & I had last night. There is no way around it.

We had a nice night.

I am going down to Manchester Tuesday morning to step back in the ring for Round #2 of the cancer chronicles. Gonna shave some cancer off my nose.

Actually, we are going. It was recommended that I be chauffeured.

Which seems a little strange because I was told I could be on my own with the back thing. Doc Feelgood said I could rise up off the table after surgery like Jesus, walk out to The Big Ride and drive myself home.

That surgery seemed to be a bigger deal than the nose but what the hell do I know. I have been surprised more than once over the past month.

I did not drive that day and in hindsight I am glad I didn't. Carol chauffeured me.

Anyway we had no idea where we are going on Tuesday so we decided to take a reconnaissance drive yesterday.

Decided to slip in a trip to the movies while we were on the road.

Went to see "The Magnificent 7" in IMAX.

Soooooooooooooooo we found the location of Dr. Feelgood #2 and then motored south to the massive cinema complex in Hooksett. Got there around 5:30 and really didn't have time to go to a real restaurant.

So we went to McDonald's.

Like a teenage couple. McDonald's and a movie. Only we are both 62.

We had such a comfortable conversation at McDonald's. Talking about how Carol's parents raised her and how my parents raised me. Talking about how we raised Keith & Craig. Reminiscing over many moments in the life we shared and continue to share with Keith & Craig. Talking about our own siblings.

It was a conversation about life. Our life. And we smiled and laughed a lot.

It felt so good and so real and so natural. Consequence of 38 years living together.

Got to the movie early, which I felt was important. I am a master planner. A real thinker.

The movie opened on Thursday, so I was worried that it might sell out or that we would not be able to sit together.

There were no more than 15 or 20 people in the theater. That is not an exaggeration. The place was empty.

Bear in mind, this is an IMAX theater. Seats about 100,000 people.

Doesn't matter. We dug the hell out of the movie. It was spectacular.

Drove home, watched Law & Order, watched a little Saturday Night Live and the night was over.

The old man in me is tempted to rave on about what the night cost. $53. For McDonald's and a movie and popcorn.

The romantic in me, the sensitive guy, recognizes the night for what it was.

A simple night spent together in love and comfort and fond memories. The perfect realization of a lifetime spent together.

A nice night.



No comments:

Post a Comment