Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Haloti Ngata

Haloti Ngata played thirteen seasons in the NFL as a defensive tackle.

Nine with the Baltimore Ravens, three with the Detroit Lions, one with the Philadelphia Eagles.

He was good.

He just retired. And the way he announced it is fucking awesome.

He scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro and stood at the top holding a banner saying "I'm Retiring From The NFL On Top". There is a reggae song playing called "Today's A New Day" by Common Kings. The banner has logos for the Ravens, Lions and Eagles on it and also says Mt. Kilimanjaro - 19,341 feet.

It's on Instagram. Find it. It is spectacular.

Here is what he posted along with the picture:

"Just a man standing on top of the world with a heart full of gratitude. Thank you Lord for letting me play the game I love for 13 unforgettable years. I'm retiring on top. I might be finished playing football, but I'm holding tight to the friendships, memories and wisdom I've gained along the way. 'Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it." Walking away with no regrets, just peace in knowing I gave it my all and had a helluva lot of fun doing it."

He is thirty five years old.

This is a guy who gets it. He worked hard to get himself a spectacular life.

Playing in the NFL ain't easy, baby. It's not like being a part time box office associate (a title not quite as impressive as NFL defensive tackle, although close) in a theatre. Football breaks your body and bruises your mind.

And, if you're lucky, fattens your wallet.

He played, he survived thirteen years - which is a fucking miracle, he is retiring young with a fat bank account and he appreciates it all.

And he is continuing on in style. Climbing Kilimanjaro ain't no walk in the park, Kazansky.

The words are not adequately expressing my feelings. Sometimes when I write I feel like I have a plastic bag wrapped around my brain.

Anyway, I have enormous respect for Haloti Ngata. For playing thirteen years in the NFL, for doing the work and sticking it out......and enjoying it; digging the privilege of making a living doing what he loved.

And I respect the very cool and creative way he announced his retirement.

The guy gets it. He gets that life can be fun, and he gets that you can keep that fun rolling and you can do it with gratitude.

Super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment