Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Jim Montgomery Must Be Rolling Over In His Grave (He's Not Dead)

The Vegas Golden Knights won the Stanley Cup last night.

I love them because they destroyed the Florida Panthers.

Bruce Cassidy coaches the Golden Knights. He got fired as coach of the Bruins a year ago, after coaching them for 5 and 1/2 seasons. He led them to the playoffs 5 times where they lost five times.

He was fired in 2022. The Bruins said "See you later, Loser - we don't need your underachieving ass in Boston." Coaching is harsh, baby. They hired Jim Montgomery.

Montgomery led the Bruins to a record shattering season, doing things no other team had ever done before. They were magnificent, beautiful, and magical to watch. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I exulted. 

They lost in the first round of the playoffs this year. The first round. To the Florida Panthers.

Cassidy is smiling today (through a nasty hangover, no doubt), Montgomery is shaking his head. Makes you wonder how the world works, doesn't it? I mean the Vegas Knights did not win solely because of Cassidy's coaching; the Bruins did not lose solely because of Montgomery's coaching. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

Fate, maybe. I don't know. Jesus? Not sure he is a hockey fan, considering how peaceable he is.

I just think it's cool that Cassidy got his cup after a long and challenging coaching career. And I think it is confusing that Montgomery did not get his after achieving perfection.

Dig this: the Golden Knights are based in Las Vegas, and they won at home last night. It does not get any better than that. They got to party last night in the Sin Capital of the World. Must have been insane. The players were itching to get off the ice as they were being interviewed - it was so obvious. 

I'm surprised no journalists were killed in the rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment