Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Let's Get Reacquainted

This is how my life has changed in recent history:

Carol and I found out we are going to be grandparents. Craig & Amanda are having a baby in March of 2024. Isn't that insane? We are so happy for them and so happy for us. Keith and Craig magically transformed our life in ways that kept our hearts full of love, our faces smiling, and our souls nourished, and they continue to do so. Craig & Amanda have no idea what to expect until it happens. Then their minds will be blown.

We had given up on that dream long ago and suddenly - the dream has become reality. A grandson. A grandson named Jackson Joseph Testa. I am blown away. We are blown away. Our life has suddenly become so much richer, magical - something we can only imagine, but something that will change our life exponentially and expand our emotional horizons beyond belief. We cannot wait.

We sold our house and bought a new joint. In less than a week. Never thought it would happen. Listed our place on a Wednesday, had a signed P&S on Saturday, and our offer on the new place was accepted on Tuesday. How the hell did that happen? I thought the price we listed the house at was $50K more than we would ever get. Instead we got $10K more than we asked for.

The new place is a double wide mobile home and it is beautiful. We are buying it outright - no mortgage. In a beautiful over 55 community that is meticulously maintained. Peaceful and quiet. I plan on starting a whiskey-lovers club and generally raising a ruckus.

We broke all our rules in buying the new place, because fate dictated. First of all we will never get another offer on our house to match this one so we had to take advantage. We wanted to move closer to civilization - we moved farther from civilization. We wanted to live in a co-op (owner owned community) - the new place is not that. We wanted low HOA fees - we got high HOA fees.

What's the lesson? You can't always get what you want. But you can get the tastiest parts of what you want, with a little luck. Don't sacrifice the good to chase the perfect. Words of wisdom.

We are moving on October 31 (hopefully not a bizarre omen) so we are officially in out-of-our-fucking-minds mode. Such a huge hassle, but the reward will be a new life in a beautiful place with a minimum of clutter. We are forced to downsize after living for 37 years in this house, which is good - we will be starting clean and mean.

I am looking to make a clean break - I have stepped up the job search because if I have to commute to this job after moving to the new place I will gouge out my eyes. On October 31 I want to be sitting in my new home with a new (hopefully remote) job. I need that. I want that. I have to fucking have it.

I am having knee replacement surgery in the future. My right knee has gotten out of control. Painful, unstable, and annoying. I have to wear a wrap all the time. Again. The surgery was scheduled for 10/17 but I postponed it after selling/buying the houses - too much frantic running around in October. So probably 2024. It will be good to be pain-free and mobile.

I recently told you that the next 10 years of my life are probably it. I'd be happy with 20 healthy years but I am not holding out hope. So, becoming a grandfather, selling this run-down home of 37 years and buying a beautiful new place, dumping the soul-sucking job - these are beautiful things, the stuff that dreams are made of. The reality of starting a whole new life at this stage of existence is deliciously insane. Lucky. Perfect. Meant to be.

I really don't have the words for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment