Wednesday, October 4, 2023

What All This Means

 "I've been aware of the time going by, they say, in the end, it's the wink of an eye"

"ah, the lovers as they run through the night, leaving nothing but to choose off and fight, and tear at the world with all their might, while the ships bearing their dreams sail out of sight"

"Are you there? Say a prayer for the pretender, who started out so young and strong, only to surrender"

From The Pretender by Jackson Browne


That's pretty much where I was and still am to some extent. My life has flown by. It is a cliche because every human being experiences it, but you cruise along not giving a lot of thought to much of anything until you look up and you are 69. Sixty nine. Suddenly every clock is your enemy.

You have watched your dreams sail away. I never had specific dreams but I had a solid sense of who and where I wanted to be at this point in my life. I am not there. Not even close.

I was young and strong but had the young and strong beaten out of me. I surrendered.

And that's how I expected it all to end.

Instead I am going to have a grandson. I am going to be living in a beautiful home mortgage free. The sheer poetry of this new reality is staggering. 

At the specific moment when the dying embers of the life you wanted are about to be extinguished, a benevolent and unidentified spirit breathes life into a new and unexpected reality. 

One that brings with it unimaginable joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment