Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Devil's Advocate

Ever see The Devil's Advocate?

Al Pacino. Keanu Reeves. Charlize Theron.

I needed more intensity last night. I got it.

I don't own a lot of movies. This is one of them. As is The Godfather. Good to have these movies at my fingertips when my soul needs a jolt.

Pacino plays the devil. Lucifer himself. He plays Lucifer as the head of a huge law firm, which is perfect typecasting when you think about it.

Mr. Pacino absolutely inhabits the role. He IS the devil. You believe it, you feel it, you are intimidated in your recliner even as you chow your bacon, sausage and extra cheese pizza and swill Pabst Blue Ribbon and whiskey.

Keanu is a chump. He is one of these actors that really pisses me off because they get rich just memorizing lines and spitting them back out. No acting at all. Watching Reeves in a film with Al Pacino is like watching a zygote having a conversation with Albert Einstein.

Tom Cruise is another one. It pisses me off because I can do what these guys do. I could be rich just like them. There is no subtle nuance to what they do, there is no worship of the craft, no inhabiting a role. They just memorize lines and spit them back out.

Cruise is a cut above Reeves. Reeves is the worst. I have no idea how he even has a career.

But I digress.

Having Keanu in the movie does not ruin it. Because Pacino is mesmerizing and Charlize is excellent.

I stayed awake through the entire 144 minutes and then fell asleep quite shortly after it ended.

The movie is intense, it is a great story and I cannot overstate how good Al Pacino is in this role.

Yesterday sucked more than any day has a right to suck.

Al Pacino was my savior in a twisted sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment