Monday, March 11, 2013

The Changing Of The Guard

Spent Friday night with Craig and Karen watching Keith and 30 of his closest friends play basketball against the Harlem Rockets.

The Rockets play Harlem Globetrotter style basketball against hapless opponents (sorry Keith) to raise money for worthy causes. This is the second time Keith has volunteered to participate and I dig it.

As is my way, I got something else from the night besides basketball.

I was watching Keith during warm ups, during the game and when he was on the bench. I am his Dad. That is what I do, out of pride and out of love.

He is a man. He carries himself like a man. He has a presence about him. I liked the way he looked on the court and the easy way he had with the people he talked and joked with.

Of course he has been a man for a long time. More mature and responsible than me in many ways. But because of where I am right now I was blown away by the aura of my first born son. He was born EARLY on a glorious May day  and I remember bounding down the steps of the hospital into gorgeous sunshine with my chest pumped out to comical proportions. Nearly thirty three years later I sat and admired this man my son has become.

After the game we walked down to the court to bask in Keith's celebrity. Keith and Craig talked a lot and I was further blown away. Watching these two men - my sons - be who they are. It was a manly conversation - not in words, but in presence. I kept looking from one to the other and the concept of the changing of the guard popped into my head.

I am on the last legs of my life. Whether that is thirty more years or two, I have lived a hell of a lot more than I have left to live.

Keith and Craig are in their prime and it just emanates off of them.

The changing of the guard is inevitable and I don't mourn it other than my obsession to get in my life's knockout punch before I am done. But the game plan is in place and all I can do is ride it out. At some point my physical presence will be diminished and theirs will shine brightly. I don't look forward to that reality but it's coming and there ain't nothing I can do about it.

I did however get a sense of peace, looking at these two men, my sons, Keith and Craig, who I love and worship beyond expression. A sense that they will handle whatever comes their way, each in their uniquely cool styles, and that the love that flows between us will continue to invigorate my life and feed my soul.

I can't ask for more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment