Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

Started the new job on 2/22. Won't get the first real paycheck until 3/22. Have to endure one more insulting paycheck until then.

I remember when people got paid every week. Real checks. Had to go to the bank to cash them.

I worked for a company as a college student - work/study - this company provided a check cashing service in their credit union, on premise, on Fridays.

I was an accounting student, so I was tapped to be a cashier.

I liked the job. People came bouncing in on Friday with a piece of paper in their hand and I converted it into cash money. They converted that into survival and probably a fair share of booze. Any amount of booze that gets you through is a fair share of booze.

Everybody was in a good mood. Lots of jokes, lots of laughter, some griping if we cashiers were a little slow. Check cashing happened at noon. That meant they had only to endure another four hours of work before two days of freedom. Maybe even sneak out for a quick lunch - liquid or otherwise.

Banks were not open on weekends then. This check cashing service made it easy for people to quickly convert their labors into fruit. People appreciated it.

This was in 1972. In 1972 I would not have had to wait a month before converting the stress of a new job into the reward of a reasonably fair paycheck.

I can wait. I know it's coming. And when the cycle starts, I can let out my breath a little, leaving a larger lung capacity for laughter.

I am looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment